As a child, a few of my favorite things were solving puzzles, playing “counselor” to my friends, and organizing the family toy closet. My best subject in school was always math, so I decided to pursue a degree in Mathematics at Iowa State University. After graduating, I began a career in actuarial science and set out on the long-term goal of earning my FSA (Fellow of the Society of Actuaries) designation.
Several years and many actuarial exams later, my Fortune 500 employer made the decision to sell the subsidiary in which I worked, resulting in career evaluation and a lot of soul-searching. This, along with having one child and one more on the way, spurred me to research other career possibilities. Sometimes it takes a big life transition to realize your true passions and goals, and I had come to realize that a career in actuarial science wasn’t truly my lifelong passion. I wanted to be able to work with and help people more directly. In addition, I was finding that balancing a career with a family was difficult and saw others dealing with this same challenge.
The Start of Life Made Simple
I believe all of these steps and experiences – 13 years as an actuary and risk manager in a Fortune 500 company, my personal role as wife and mother of three girls, community roles with various organizations, and my experience as a productivity consultant and coach – have provided me with a great understanding of how an organized and productive environment can impact all areas of life.
I’ve heard you should look at what you enjoyed as a child to see what your true calling in life should be. I feel blessed to have found a career where I get to solve problems, counsel/coach my clients, and use my innate organization skills to help people throughout the country.
I currently live in the Des Moines, Iowa suburb of Urbandale with my husband, three beautiful daughters, and two cats.
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries
- Golden Circle member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals, serving on its Board of Directors from 2015-2018.
- Recipient of the 2019 NAPO President’s Award
- Microsoft Office Specialist, NAPO Workplace Productivity Specialist, NAPO Life Transitions Specialist
- Graduate of the Productive Environment Institute and a member of the 2015 Class of the Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute.
- Co-Author of the Amazon Best Selling Book, 1 Habit For a Thriving Home Office: Killer Habits of the Happiest Achieving Home-Based Business People On the Planet
- Have appeared in Bloomberg Business, NAPO News, The Des Moines Register, Des Moines Living Magazine, Insureon Small Business Insurance Magazine; and on FedEx.com, AmericanExpress.com, WHOtv, Des Moines Amplified and Blog Talk Radio.